Tuesday, November 29, 2016

And the changes go on...

So, here we are again.  I got laid off from my job just before the one year mark.  I love the company I worked for, loved the people there.  But the oilfield market is volatile right now, and it was my turn to get the axe, so to speak.  It's a struggle, and I wish the best for everyone there.  But I'm ready to move on to other pastures.  I've worked for the same company, with a small year-long break, for almost five years.  It's time to explore other opportunities. 

Today is Thanksgiving Day.  There's so much that I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful to have a roof over my head, a husband that supports his family (now solely).  I'm thankful to have parents that have supported and guided me through so many transitions in my life.  I'm thankful for extended family that took the sting out of getting laid off, spending time with them is always amazingly good for me.  I'm thankful that I've got an opportunity to clear my head, decide what I really want out of life, and make a plan to get there.  I'm thankful that I have friends - old friends and new friends - that are there for me as much as I've been there for them, and are willing to bounce ideas with me as I go through this yet again.

I am also thankful that I am relatively healthy, and I have skills and talents that are in demand.  I will go through my tough times, but I always land on my feet at some point.  So now, I have a little time to really consider what I want my next step to be.  I have time, through the holidays, to spend time with my family, attend school plays and programs, and keep on keeping on. 

I've always loved writing, and photography.  I've been in business my entire adult life, so I will always prepare to have a job/career in the business sector.  But at the same time, I have time to think about whether that's what I want to do or not.  As for photography, I love landscape photography:  country scenes, sunrises and sunsets, beach scenes, and more.  I also love portraiture, but I've really decided that in the portraiture sector, what I enjoy is composite portraiture, with an element of magic and/or mystery.

As for writing, I've always loved any type of writing.  Non-fiction of all types, fiction (nearly any genre), poetry, lists... seriously, just about anything.  So I'll dig out my copy of Stephen King's "On Writing" and my various other books about writing, and maybe (just maybe) this time I'll keep writing, and see where it takes me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment